- Ilan Pappé (Hebrew: אילן פפה; born 1954) is an expatriate Israeli historian and socialist activist. He is a professor with the College of Social Sciences and International Studies at the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom, director of the university’s European Centre for Palestine Studies, and co-director of the Exeter Centre for Ethno-Political Studies.Pappé was born in Haifa, Israel. Prior to coming to the UK, he was a senior lecturer in political science at the University of Haifa (1984–2007) and chair of the Emil Touma Institute for Palestinian and Israeli Studies in Haifa (2000–2008). He is the author of The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine (2006), The Modern Middle East (2005), A History of Modern Palestine: One Land, Two Peoples (2003), and Britain and the Arab-Israeli Conflict (1988). He was also a leading member of Hadash, and was a candidate on the party list in the 1996 and 1999 Knesset elections.
Pappé is one of Israel’s New Historians who, since the release of pertinent British and Israeli government documents in the early 1980s, have been rewriting the history of Israel’s creation in 1948, and the corresponding expulsion or flight of 700,000 Palestinians in the same year. He has written that the expulsions were not decided on an ad hoc basis, as other historians have argued, but constituted the ethnic cleansing of Palestine, in accordance with Plan Dalet, drawn up in 1947 by Israel’s future leaders. He blames the creation of Israel for the lack of peace in the Middle East, arguing that Zionism is more dangerous than Islamic militancy, and has called for an international boycott of Israeli academics.
- “I am not a self hating jews if i think that zionism is a colonist ideology”:accusing jews of being colonists ignoring the Arab ideology of one big Islamic nation clean of any other ethnic entities is indeed self hating if you were born Israeli, but it is not self hating it is more like self promoting at the price of historical truths, such as history of the jewish nation in the land of israel, not colonists who came from their own territories but refugees exiled from a country occupied by other nations, and none of which ever established a country or a nation except as a reaction to the Jews rebuilding their homeland.
- America is a better place for jews, and safer; yes, then why did US not let in Jewish refugees escaping the holocaust and accepted only a small percentage ?US has its own pandora box of colonist crimes so why would it be a better place for jews ?
- Israel has no moral justification -he claims but living in US, a country that invades nations in the middle east murdering many more Moslems than Israel does in self defense living next door to terrorism, is ok for jews. US is morally squeaky clean or is it a place for profit making for people who promote hate and lies?
- Universities could not tolerate people whose profession is history-Zionist Martin Bubber and Albert Einstein are lesser academic than the glorious Ilan Pappe according to Ilan Pappe..please look under narcisnsistic personality disorder the explanation to that ..or profit making from Israel bashing by israeli.
- Not being loyal to the mainstream ideas at the university had Ilan Pappe fired : Ilan Pappe claims that Israel does not tolerate academic discussion or other opinion, while i am aware of attempts to control the free speech , i still am able to read http://www.Haaretz.com left wing paper and there are people arguing in a free press in sharp contrast to the Gaza resident who found himself imprisoned because of a Facebook post mocking the regime or Mohamad , and many Palestinians struggling to express a political opinion different than the mainstream terror regime find a worse fate than prison thrown off buildings, so what is Pappe arguing ? That the Palestinians have a higher moral ground in free speech too?
- The accusation of Israelis of Colonism: How can people without territory colonise their own historical homeland?!
- Zionism emigrated to the homeland of someone else: but there never was a political historical entity called palestine of a separate people with a unique identity , theirs was never a nation called Palestinians prior to their political definition in 1967 as opposed to Israelis, before Israel was established the people residing in Palestine were a collection of various people moving from all over the middle east, whether Syrians, Kurds, there was nothing uniting the people called palstinians except opposing Israel which is an absurd way to define a nation ; seeking the destruction of other people.
- Democracy: a claim that Israel was not a democracy since 1967 since there are people under military rule, but Israel gave up Gaza , evacuated Gaza and the Hamas, a terror organization is now in charge of that territory, declaring it will destroy israel , not build a country, so what would any nation do ? Anyone who is not a Jew is a second class citizen?The Arabs have a right to vote, they receive social benefits and do not have to serve in the army, is that discrimination ?
- The claim that Palestinians have no right to buy land in Israel: what country allows everyone there to own land? can you just move to any country and purchase land? Since the Palestinians are a collection of various Moslem nations who own most of the land in the middle east, of which Israel is a tiny tiny portion, why shouldn’t Israel oppose giving up more of its tiny territory up?
- colonising Palestine: the very term is distorted , it is as if Zionism is a destructive violent force ignoring the violent intentions of the Hamas and the various Arab regimes who oppose the presence of anyone who is not of a particular Moslem belief.
Ilan Pappe’s claims are absurd due to his ignoring the political climate in the middle east feeling pity towards people who would brutually destroy the Jewish population had the Jewish population in Israel not protected itself, he also ignores the historical connection between the land and the Jewish nation, he ignores the definition of a nation. The reason the Israeli army is strong is because of a need to protect this nation.
If the Palestinian political leaders whom Ilan pappe has pity on, had been allowed to do as they please, according to the very clear agenda of the Palestinian authority, Israel would be destroyed, the Jews once again be sent to exile, forced to once again live as an oppressed minority and terrorism would take over as it did in Lebanon and Syria.
US has not been the best place for jews, antisemtism is still on the rise, according to the newest waves of neo Nazism, and the argument that Israelis oppress others in order to survive ignores the very real threat of terror Israel lives under which forces Israel to act in oder not to be destroyed.
If Ilan Pappe thinks that Israel is racist and the Arab nations are not racist he not only ignores the international extremist Islam campaign to spread violence and terror but is quite naive about the intentions of the Arab nations to ethnically cleanse the middle east of anyone not of a particular view of very narrow minded version of Islam that tolerates no one who holds a different view.
Zionism has its faults but it is absurd to discount its achievements in reviving the Jewish nation after a third had been wiped out, in reviving Hebrew as a living language, and in returning to its historical homeland , a history Ilan Pappe chooses to ignore since it does not play into his program of profit making by being an Israeli anti zionist, a unique distorting voice popular with people who are ignorant of Jewish history of persecution and of history in the ancient middle east .
Just what defines Palestinians as a nation ? the opposition to Israel
What makes Israel not a democracy but US a country that is so wonderful according to Pappe and invades countries in the middle east and occupying them a democracy?
These and other questions should be asked which is why i am glad that Ilan Pappe is around because he helps educate people what misinformation and a distortion by people with an agenda can do.
It is very sweet of Ilan pappe to fight for human rights except that of jews , it is very sweet of him to recommend all jews emigrate to US except that US history does not prove his claim that the US openly embraced its jews, and still now, anytime a Jewish person does anything wrong, it is the jews, there is a growing stream of Neo Nazis and extreme right wing racists in the US that needs addressing to before recommending a mass emigration of Jews to the US.
Maybe it seems not a serious argument argued by a comedian but supporting a militant Palestinian entity whose goals are destroying others by an Israeli “historian” who ignores most of history in order to support a popular opinion that makes him a huge personal and financial profit is much more absurd .